MEET OUR SENIOR PASTOR
Dr. Cheryl Barker
Dr. Cheryl Barker is an amazing woman who wears many hats and is passionate about each of her professions. She is currently the Principal at Thaddeus Stevens PS 81 in Brooklyn and she is also the senior Pastor of Consuming Fire Ministry International Inc.
She joined the New York City Department of Education in 1990 as a teacher, and she taught for 13 years in various capacities, some of which are: Math Coach, ELA Coach, Science Teacher, and Lead Teacher. In 2003 she assumed the position of Assistant Principal and worked in that capacity for one year. In 2004, Dr. Barker attained the position of Principal and to date she continues to work in that capacity. At PS 81 Dr. Barker has created a learning environment that supports professional development for her staff, which in turn guarantees academic and social achievement for students. Dr. Barker believes that this is the essence of her educational philosophy; a philosophy that encompasses the core belief that every child can learn, grow and achieve. As an instructional leader, Dr. Barker also believes that the fundamental principles of high expectations and excellence permeate all areas of our professional learning community, and students, teachers and parents collaborate to improve our primary goal of student achievement.
As a Christian, Dr. Barker has dedicated herself to pursuing higher education in Christ and has attended Bible School where she successfully pursued a Ph.D. in Theology. She firmly believes that “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works” (2 Timothy3:16-17). As a Pastor, Dr. Barker is committed to feeding both the lambs and the sheep of God’s flock (John 21; 15-17). As a Leader she is a servant of God’s people following the perfect example of our Lord Jesus Christ (Matthew 20:28). As a speaker Dr. Barker is spirit – filled, dynamic, full of faith, inspiring, and Christ – centered.
As a wife, mother, daughter, sister, family member, and friend Dr. Barker can be described as a beautiful, humble, caring, honest, giving, dependable, and down-to-earth human being.
In addition, here are a few more of the many accomplishments that this dynamic woman, Dr. Cheryl Barker has achieved over the years:
- She is a mentor for new Assistant Principals affiliated with the New York City Leadership Academy.
- She is an inductee into the Kingsborough Wall of Fame in recognition of her outstanding achievement.
- She is a recipient of Brooklyn College’s Joseph J. Cohen’s award for excellence in education.
- Barker has served as one of the distinguished Columbia University 2008 Cahn Fellows participants.
- She is the recipient of Brooklyn Borough President, Eric Adams, citation for being a highly esteemed member of the community, for her selfless efforts and her role as liaison between the police, community and religious institution providing spiritual support in times of crisis, in addition to conducting anti-violence prayer gatherings for the protection of the community.